While chips and dips are a classic tailgating staple, you also need at least one sweet item as well, and what’s easier than easy-to-grab-and-go cupcakes? Mind you, cupcakes made with BOURBON inside! Not only does it taste good, but it cements you as a true Kentuckian when you cook with bourbon. Added bonus – when you cook with bourbon, sips along the way are permitted….
Try out this delicious Town Branch cupcake recipe and your group is sure to love it! With some of the favorite spices of fall cooked inside, with creamy cream cheese frosting, these are especially good after cooling down and being places in the refrigerator. They even seem to taste better a day after making them, as the flavors meld together even more.
For the Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes):
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup molasses
- ¼ cup milk (either whole or 2%)
- ½ cup Town Branch Bourbon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a cupcake with cupcake liners. Sift all dry ingredients together. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition and beating well.
4. Add the molasses and mix well.
5. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and milk to the batter.
6. Add the Town Branch bourbon and stir with a spoon. The batter will look thin and slightly broken. Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full. Bake 25-30 min, until a toothpick comes out clean when tested.
7. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely, about 20 minutes, before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting (makes 2 cups)
12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• Substitute 1 tablespoon Town Branch Bourbon if you want to make Bourbon frosting for the vanilla extract
1. Beat the cream cheese well using a mixer.
2. Add the softened butter. Continue to beat until well mixed in with the cream cheese. Add the vanilla extract.
3. Add the powdered sugar in thirds. Beat well until incorporated.
4. Frost cupcakes by putting the frosting into a zip-lock bag and cutting off one of the bottom edge-tips.
Garnish with caramel sauce if desired.